Recipe #4: Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound ground beef (or for a vegetarian version, imitation ground beef)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 8oz (1/2 small can) tomato sauce
- 3 teaspoons brown sugar
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- In a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef, onion, and green pepper. If using real ground beef, drain off liquids.
- Stir in the garlic powder, mustard, ketchup, tomato sauce, and brown sugar and mix thoroughly.
- Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make this recipe vegetarian, heat imitation ground beef in olive oil with onion and green pepper.
Source: AllRecipes.com and a family recipe.